February 18, 2014

chocolate rum muffins

This recipe makes 16 muffins, so if you don't have two muffin tins, you might want to cut it in half. Although I have no idea how to measure 1/6 cup of something; hopefully you're smarter than me!

The below recipe has been edited to take into account one eagle-eyed reader's astute observation about salt!

chocolate rum muffins

In a bowl, mix (or sift, if you're not lazy!) together
1 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. baking powder


In a separate bowl, whisk together
9 oz. okara
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup rum
3/4 cup canola oil
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

until well emulsified.

Pour liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until "just mixed." Then fold in
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Divide batter evenly into 16 wells of lightly oiled muffin pans. Bake at
325 degrees Fahrenheit
for 23-25 minutes. Allow to cool for at least a few minutes before removing from pan.

5 comments:

  1. Is there really no salt in the recipe? That probably would make them taste bland to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *looks at recipe I adapted*

      Well, would you look at that. I forgot the salt. There should have been 3/4 tsp.!

      Delete
  2. I love the recipes!!
    I just bought a soya milk machine too and was wondering what to do with the leftovers.. so i mixed 2 cups of flour to 2 cups of okara added 2 strands of long bean.. made them into a patty and fried.. they tasted like the long bean pratas i had when i was in new delhi for work...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons = 1/6C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muffins came out GREAT! Next time I will add just enough water or soymilk to achieve a batter consistency as this is more of a dough which produced a fairly dense product. They are delicious, however, and I quickly got used to the density - relished it, even. Instead of canola I used olive oil which lent a nice fruit complexity. My rum is also a coffee infused one so again great for this recipe. Rather than make 16 muffins next time I will just make 12 and add more batter to each, should have plenty of room in my liners. Fantastic way to use the okara from my weekly soymilk making!

    ReplyDelete